Monday, September 2, 2013

LA on Two Wheels

In a span of three weeks, I've gone from no wheels to four wheels, to finally, just two. In a city where only 0.9% of the population commutes by bike, I find myself for the first time in my life apart of the 1%. And really, I don't get why.  For a lot of reasons, LA is a the perfect place to ride.  It's sunny, warm, and there are countless bike friendly side-streets along all the major routes.

Full transparency: I never owned a bike in any of my former cities.  Not even Vancouver, where bike lanes are starting to outnumber roads. But here, I find myself compelled to break old habits, and for $100 last week, I bought my first bike since I was 17.

My door to door commute is now just 20 minutes.  Not bad, considering it takes about the same amount of time by car.  Want to go to the beach? No problem, it's a breezy 20km ride from West Hollywood, so just about an hour including stops for wheatgrass and quick REI pop-ins.

In short, I did something I never thought I would do. And it's already opening my mind up to other things that I didn't think were possible. When I first moved here, a friend said to me, "I'm excited for you to find your LA" - and in a city this big, with my mind wide open, I finally feel like I'm starting to do just that.

Quote of the Week 

"Faith is where it begins. Acting on your faith is how it happens."

Safety First in the Office Elevator - Beverly Hills, CA




















Follow along on Instagram - @thedavecoast.

d.

1 comment: